Tuesday, June 05, 2007

ghibli goodness set in my hometown

That's the anime 耳をすませば (Mimi wo sumaseba/Whisper of the Heart). I loved it! It's a sweet love story. Great artwork too, with very detailed renderings of buildings and streets. The setting was also quite interesting for me, because it was set in Tama City, and that's where I live now. The town part of the city shown in the film was in Seiseki-Sakuragaoka, and that's my town! Although there were of course a lot of differences already, because the movie is more than ten years old, it was cool to be able to identify some of the places and say that they actually looked very familiar. I can even relate to the difficulty one character was having with biking up the hills around here. And I could totally identify with the ever-present Keio train in the movie, which actually hasn't changed much.

On to the next ghibli!

2 comments:

brymac said...

Mimi is a great movie. I'm envious that you live in that town right now :)

Try "The Cat Returns". Baron makes a comeback there :D

kilcher said...

i think jo watched the two films na pero i haven't seen mimi. loser ako haha.

pero di bale, itsu demo naman daw eh. i might consider buying an external dvd rom for chippy :)