Tuesday, June 28, 2005

crazy taxi

Nearly had a car accident this morning. I was already inside UP, and was following a taxi. But as the taxi was about to turn left going to ISMED, it suddenly jerked to a stop! Vehicles are supposed to make a full stop at intersections and I was fully prepared for that. But the taxi's sudden change of speed would catch anyone off guard.

Good thing I reacted just in time, and was able to stop immediately, while quickly glancing at my rearview mirror to check if anyone was following (no one was). Then I blasted my horn to show the idiot taxi driver that his sudden stopping nearly caused a collision.

Then something flashed on me. Suddenly, I remembered my previous car accident, where a crosswind I was following suddenly reversed and ruined my hood. Something told me the taxi was going to do a crosswind. Without hesitating, I quickly checked my rearview mirror again to make sure I wasn't going to hit anything then I reversed my car in an instant. And surely, as soon as I had moved a couple of inches, the taxi was already lurching backwards!

Realizing that the taxi driver's still unaware of my presence or something is very wrong with him or his situation with his passenger that he's stupidly ignoring me and my close distance, I backed up some more. And then his car was reversing again. This was really puzzling - and kinda alarming - because in front of him was a clear and obstacle-free road but he seemed like he's trying to wiggle out of the corner by jolting his way backwards without any regard if he'll hit anything in the process.

Finally he managed to move forward and quickly took the opposite lane - must be to stop eventually at the other side of the road.

As I went pass the taxi, it hit me that I had just barely avoided certain disaster. And as I breathed a sigh of relief, I knew, God saved me again.

No comments: