Sunday, August 14, 2005

numb

After more than a month of not playing the drums at church, I got to play again this morning.

But since I haven't been practicing much lately, my right hand got tired sooner than it should. Meaning, the songs weren't over yet but my hand was already giving up. There came a point where I was barely holding the stick anymore, but with half-curled fingers too tired to wrap themselves more tightly around the stick, I was just supporting the stick to prevent it from flying off of my already numb hand.

Gratefully, no stick came hurtling off of the drumset (which had happened before, with no spare sticks, in my drumming days of many many months past). And maybe the tempo slowed down a tiny bit because of my getting tired. But, at least, there weren't any show-stopping blunders. (I can't exactly remember when or how bad, but somewhere in my drumming days past, there was at least one of those too.)

Well, this should remind me to practice more often...

2 comments:

jem said...

jem, pampataas ng endurance sa drums:

get a metronome and a buddy to help you out. your friend will adjust the metronome's tempo higher every twenty seconds or so. your task is to keep up with the metronome until it reaches a max (siguro from 80 to 180-200 bpm).

exercises:
1. 4 Beats (R and L)
2. 2 Beats (R and L)
3. 4 Beats (2 Beat Alternate)
4. 1 Beat (R and L)
5. 1 Beat (Alternate)
6. 2 Beat Alternate w/ Foot

For each exercise, try to hit pieces of the drumset at random per beat. Para masanay yung katawan mo sa swiveling.

jam naman tayo!

Celedor said...

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments/01singlestrokeroll.html

is what I use for practice. The other rudiments are there too.